Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search

Education and training

Financial information

Before starting your study or training it is important to think about any related financial implications. This includes not only the cost of the course itself but also finance needed for books, equipment, travel and living expenses for the course duration.

If you are returning to learning and need to give up work in order to study, then the financial implications may be greater.

For more information, check out the following sections.

Jump to

Back to top

Things to consider

You may like to think about the following when exploring the cost of study or training:

  • Apart from course fees, how much money will you need for books and equipment?
  • Will there be accommodation costs involved?
  • Will there be transport costs to and from campus each day?
  • How will you make sure you have enough money to cover food, power and water and phone expenses?
  • Compare education and training providers and study options. For example, part time or external study may be more viable.
  • Talk to someone who has done the course about the additional expenses they found.
  • Prepare a budget so you have a good idea of how costs will add up over time.

You may want to look into the availability of financial support and scholarships.

Back to top

Financial support and scholarships

Both financial support and scholarships are offered in a range of situations.

1 Financial support may be available if you have, or claim, one of the following:

  • Youth Allowance;
  • Health care card;
  • 15—17 year old concession;
  • Pensioner concession card; or
  • Veteran health card.

For job seeker students tuition fees may be free if you are currently a Job Network member or receive a:

  • New Start Allowance;
  • Job Seeker Allowance; or
  • Youth Allowance – Job seeker.

Other students may also be entitled to a concession fee if studying with a State Training Provider. Contact your local State Training Provider for more information.

If you work and study you might be able to claim some of your education expenses as a tax deduction. Check your eligibility with the Australian Taxation Office

Students experiencing financial hardship can apply to pay their fees in instalments. To find out more about this you can visit Centrepay or contact them on 13 24 90.

2 Austudy provides support for students and Australian apprentices who are aged 25 years or over. These payments can be made for an approved course at an approved institution where the individual is enrolled as a full time student. Generally, approved courses include secondary education courses, undergraduate courses, diplomas, associate diplomas, State Training Provider courses and some post graduate courses.

For more information please visit Centrelink or contact them on
13 24 90.

3 A range of scholarships and awards are offered by Australian universities. Eligible courses and the financial support available are determined by each university.

Some scholarships are open to students with disabilities, or particular talents or from disadvantaged or ethnic backgrounds. There may also be assistance for students coming from specific locations, either within Australia or overseas.

Contact the relevant university for more detailed information.

To search for scholarships visit the myfuture website and use their keyword search. You can also contact each university directly for their list of available scholarships and closing dates.

Scholarships are also available via industry bodies such as engineering, mining and nursing. To find out if there are scholarships available in your industry contact the industry training councils direct.

Back to top


In the Australian higher education system, domestic students can be offered a Commonwealth supported place (formerly known as a HECS place) through approved Australian higher education providers. Generally, these students are required to contribute to the cost of their higher education through a student contribution. The Australian Government also contributes to part of the cost.

These students are allowed to defer their student contribution via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) and repay it later through the taxation system.

Fee paying students have access to a loan scheme called FEE-HELP. Eligible students are able to take out a FEE-HELP loan to assist with their tuition fees.

To find out more about HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP visit Study Assist.

Back to top

Need advice?

Profile and social options