Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Gaming worker

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Gaming workers, also known as gaming dealers or croupiers, usually operate and run gaming tables. The only licensed casino in Western Australia is located at Burswood Entertainment Complex, in Perth, and is the main employer of these employees in the State. A gaming worker must be able to shuffle, cut and deal cards, and take bets and pay winners. An important part of their role is to ensure they provide a level of entertainment for casino patrons.

ANZSCO description: Provides gaming services within a casino or other gambling establishment.
Alternative names: Croupier, Gaming Dealer
Specialisations: Casino Gaming Inspector, Gaming Pit Boss
Job prospects: Limited
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A gaming worker needs:

  • strong numeracy skills and the ability to perform quick calculations
  • good communication skills and the ability to speak confidently and clearly
  • an ability to work under pressure
  • good hand-eye coordination, to be able to deal efficiently
  • good eyesight and normal colour vision
  • to be over 18 years old
  • to maintain a high level of integrity and honesty at all times.
Back to top

Working conditions

A gaming worker must make sure that the rules and regulations of a game and an establishment are followed by customers, and they may also need to explain rules to patrons. They must also be clear on the winners and losers of a game, and calculate and pay out the correct winnings. A gaming worker needs to be able to work under pressure and remain calm at all times, particularly when working with customers who are under the influence of alcohol.

At Burswood Entertainment Complex, the Casino is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Gaming workers must therefore work according to a roster including morning, afternoon, night and weekend shifts.

Back to top

Salary details

Gaming workers can expect to earn at least between $717 and $861 per week ($37 274 and $44 772 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a gaming worker develops their skills and takes on additional duties, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Depending on the game a gaming worker is dealing, they may need to understand how to play a computerised form of the game. There are many of types of games that offer a computerised version. Workers will also need to be familiar with how to operate the card sorter on a computerised version.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a gaming worker without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality.

The Certificate III in Hospitality and the Certificate IV in Hospitality are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship. The gaming attendant and gaming supervisor traineeships usually take nine to 24 months to complete, and the gaming attendant traineeships are available as school-based traineeships.

To work as a gaming worker in a licensed premise in Western Australia, you need to obtain a Casino Employee Licence through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries. You will also need to obtain a National Police Clearance.

As part of the application process, you will need to show that you have either completed a training course approved by the Gaming and Wagering Commission of Western Australia, have sufficient experience to be qualified to work as a licensed gaming premise employee, or have a letter from the casino stating that they are considering employing you in a specified role.

Crown Perth offers an in-house training course for people interested in working as a croupier, which is approved by the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries. Contact Crown Perth for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options