Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Metal engineering process worker

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Metal trades assistants work in the metal or engineering fields, providing support to tradespeople, such as boilermakers, fitters or metal moulders. They perform a range of routine tasks such as positioning and holding metal so work can be carried out, assembling and dismantling products, and transporting tools and materials around workshops and storage areas. They may also carry out basic cutting, pressing, shaping or welding duties.

ANZSCO description: Performs routine tasks in manufacturing metal  products.
Alternative names: Metal Trades Assistant
Specialisations: Boilermaker's Assistant, Fitter's Assistant, Metal Forger's Assistant, Metal Moulder's Assistant
Job prospects: Limited
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A metal trades assistant needs:

  • to be physically fit
  • to be able to work as part of a team
  • manual dexterity
  • an interest in working with metal
  • to enjoy technical and engineering activities
Back to top

Working conditions

Metal trades assistants work in the manufacturing, construction and mining industries. They can work all over the state, from construction sites in the centre of Perth, to remote mine sites in the Pilbara or Eastern Goldfields regions. They often work in enclosed workshops, which can be hot and noisy. A number of metal trades assistants also work outdoors, in all weather conditions. It is a physical occupation, requiring a great deal of lifting and standing.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, metal engineering process workers can expect to earn between $800 and $999 per week ($41 600 and $51 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Metal trades assistants use metal working machinery, including cutters, power hammers, presses, welders and a range of hand tools. Because the work can often be dangerous, they must also wear appropriate safety equipment, which may include overalls, steel capped boots, safety glasses and protective ear wear, some sites may also require hard hats

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a metal engineering process worker without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a formal qualification in engineering.

The Certificate II in Engineering is offered at registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship. The engineering production worker traineeship usually takes 12 months to complete and is available as a school-based traineeship.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Need advice?

Profile and social options