Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Migration agent (Aus)

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Migration agents provide advice and assistance to people wishing to obtain visas to enter or remain in Australia. They consult with individuals and families who are seeking to immigrate to Australia, help them to efficiently and effectively fill out their visa applications, and discuss the alternate ways in which they can apply to immigrate to Australia. They also assemble all the appropriate documentation that makes up a visa application package and send these to their clients, as well as lodging applications on behalf of their clients. They also offer advice on cases where a visa has been refused, and may also offer assistance to refugees in obtaining protection visas. Most migration agents work in cities and large regional centres.

ANZSCO description: Provides information and advice to potential migrants, prepares and lodges visa applications, and acts as an intermediary to legally represent clients during visa processing and before review bodies. Liaises with Legal Professionals in relation to judicial review matters. Registration or licensing may be required.
Alternative names: Immigration Consultant (NZ), Migration Consultant
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A migration agent needs:

  • a desire to help people
  • organisational and time management skills
  • a caring and compassionate demeanour
  • strong oral and written communication skills
  • the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
  • problem-solving skills
Back to top

Working conditions

Migration agents usually work in the offices of legal organisations such as law firms. However, they may be self-employed. They work regular hours but may be required to work longer hours. They may travel to consult with clients who are seeking to prolong their visa, or who are applying for a visa if in detention. Migration agents may be required to deal with emotional situations.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, migration agents, classified under other information and organisation professionals, can expect to earn between $1 250 and $1 499 per week ($65 000 and $77 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. 

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Migration agents use computers and other office equipment. They may spend a significant amount of their time on the phone consulting with clients who are overseas or in Australia. They consult textbooks, journals and other legal documents to stay up to date with migration law.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become a migration agent in Australia, you usually need to study law at university, or complete a Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice. 

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant undergraduate degrees in Law. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Murdoch University offers the Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law and Practice. The course usually takes six months to complete and requires completion of a bachelor degree in any field or relevant professional experience.

​To work as a migration agent in Australia, you must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority​.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options