Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Park ranger

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Park Rangers manage, maintain and protect natural areas that are set aside for conservation and/or tourism. Working in national parks from Ningaloo Reef in the north of the state to the Valley of the Giants in the south-west, these workers ensure that the public are able to use and enjoy Western Australia's natural environment, whilst protecting native flora and fauna. They patrol, monitor wildlife, carry out surveys and other research, and inform the public on how to appropriately use and enjoy these areas. They may also undertake basic maintenance or lead guided walks through the habitats that they care for.

ANZSCO description: Assists in controlling a State or national park, scenic area, historic site, nature reserve, recreation area or conservation reserve in accordance with authorised policies and priorities.
Alternative names: Environmental Warden, Ranger
Specialisations: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land and Sea Ranger (Aus), Indigenous Park Ranger
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A park ranger needs:

  • a love of nature and the outdoors
  • motivation and independence
  • good observation and communication skills
  • physical endurance
  • to enjoy working alone
  • bush craft, survival and first-aid skills
Back to top

Working conditions

Park rangers spend a significant amount of their day outdoors, in all kinds of climatic conditions. They undertake physically demanding work and may be required to complete it in sometimes extreme weather conditions. They may also work in isolated areas and may be required to work and stay alone in these remote areas. These workers may also be required to travel between parks and reserves around the state. They often work weekends and public holidays.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, park rangers, classified under environmental scientists, can expect to earn between $1 500 and $1 999 per week ($78 000 and $103 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a park ranger develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Park rangers use a number of tools, including gardening and bush-clearing equipment, measuring and recording equipment for conducting surveys, fire-fighting equipment, and light building tools for erecting fences and maintaining pathways.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a park ranger without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in conservation and land management, environmental science or a related field.

The Certificate III in Indigenous Land Management, and VET courses in Conservation and Land Management, and Environmental Monitoring and Technology are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship. The national parks conservation worker, Indigenous lands worker and senior conservation worker traineeships usually take 24 months to complete.

You may improve your employment prospects if you complete a bachelor degree in science with a major in environmental science or environmental management.

Most of the universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options