A Picture Framer cuts out and assembles mouldings to make picture frames and frames paintings, photographs, needlework and other artwork.
• Studying drawings, work orders and sample parts to determine specifications
• Setting up woodworking machines and wood stock for correct cutting, planning, turning, shaping and sanding
• Operating machines to cut, plane, turn, shape and sand work pieces
• Removing old finishes by stripping with steel wool and glasspaper, and by applying solvents and paint strippers, and removing softened finishes by scraping
• Applying varnish, shellac, lacquer, stains and paint to surfaces and polishing and waxing finished surfaces
• Fitting and fastening frame pieces
• Mounting backing materials and subjects for framing