Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Recreation officer (Aus)

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Recreation officers organise sporting and recreational events. They also develop and/or administer recreation policy. They prepare and/or administer financial estimates and resource allocations and coordinate and arrange meetings and venues for events. They may liaise with parents, schools, church leaders, social workers and community groups about programs and facilities. They may also recruit, train and supervise recreation leaders. They may also initiate and deliver other activities such as hobby classes, school holiday programs, public displays and cultural activities.

ANZSCO description: Plans, organises and coordinates recreation  facilities and programs through organisations such as local  governments, schools, church bodies and youth organisations.
Alternative names: Recreation Adviser, Recreation Coordinator (NZ)
Specialisations: Adventure Leader, Senior Specialisation
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A recreation officer needs:

  • to enjoy outdoor activities
  • to have good communication and negotiation skills
  • to have good sport skills
  • to have expertise in a specific area such as swimming or outdoor recreation
  • to be able to motivate and supervise other people
  • good organisational skills.
Back to top

Working conditions

A recreation officer spends some time working in an office. They will also spend time working outdoors, including in different weather conditions. They usually spend a lot of time working with the public.

Recreation officers normally work 38 hours per week, but may need to work during the week-end and for extra hours when sporting events are being organised and run.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, recreation officers, classified under welfare, recreation and community arts workers, can expect to earn between $1 000 and $1 249 per week ($52 000 and $64 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a recreation officer develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.  

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Recreation officers need to be proficient with a wide range of sporting equipment. They may also need to be proficient with specialised equipment for people with special needs. They will also need to have basic computer skills.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become a recreation officer you usually need to complete a formal qualification in sport and recreation, leisure and health, or community activity programs.

The Certificate III and IV in Sport and Recreation, and Certificate IV in Leisure and Health are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also complete a traineeship. The community recreation officer or recreation coordinator traineeships usually take 18 to 24 months to complete.

You can also complete a degree majoring in exercise and health, sport, recreation and event management, population health, sports science, or a related field.

Most universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options