Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Grain oilseed or pasture grower

Back to top

Summary of occupation

​In Western Australia, grain, oilseed or pasture growers plan, organise and manage the production of crops such as wheat, oats and barley, oilseeds (for example canola), and ryegrass for pasture crops. They manage farming operations including the harvesting and storage of produce, the sale of produce, budgeting and business management, staff management, and property maintenance. They usually work in rural regions ranging from the north through to the south and south-west of the State.

ANZSCO description: Plans, organises, controls, coordinates and performs farming operations to grow grain, oilseed, protein and pasture crops.
Alternative names: Grain, Oilseed or Pasture Farm Manager
Job prospects: Limited
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A grain, oilseed or pasture grower needs:

  • an interest in crop production and cultivation methods
  • planning, analysing and problem-solving abilities
  • mechanical aptitude and able to work with computers
  • good communication and organisational skills
  • the ability to manage a team and work independently
  • to enjoy working outdoors.
Back to top

Working conditions

​Grain, oilseed or pasture growers work on the farm in an office setting and outdoors in the fields in all kinds of weather. They work long hours every day and during harvest season these hours can increase substantially. They operate heavy machinery, and chemicals and fertilisers are used in crop production. Adhering to occupational health and safety standards largely reduces the risk of injury. 

Back to top

Salary details

The amount a grain, oilseed and pasture grower can earn varies greatly, depending on their location, level of experience and market demand. Work and earnings may also vary seasonally. As grain, oilseed and pasture growers develop their skills, their earning potential will generally increase.

Many grain, oilseed and pasture growers own and manage their own business. Earnings will depend on the level of demand for their products, commodity prices, local and international markets, the expenses associated with running a farm, and weather conditions.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Grain, oilseed or pasture growers use heavy machinery including tractors, header/combine harvesters and mobile plants such as grain silos. Protective clothing such as gloves, goggles, coveralls, high visibility clothing and broad-brimmed hats are generally worn to minimise risks. They also need to be proficient with computers and may need to use specialised farm management software.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

You can work as a grain, oilseed and pasture grower without formal qualifications. However, entry to into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in agriculture or a related area.

The Diploma of Agriculture is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse the Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills websites to find a training provider near you.

You can also complete a degree majoring in agribusiness or agricultural science.

Some universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information. 

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options