Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search


Back to top

Summary of occupation

Endocrinologists diagnose diseases affecting glands including the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, ovaries, testes and pancreas. They recognise and treat hormone problems by helping to restore the balance of hormones. They take care of many conditions including diabetes, thyroid disease, and osteoporosis and growth disorders.

Most of the endocrinologists practising in Western Australia, do so in the Perth metropolitan area.

ANZSCO description: Investigates, diagnoses and treats disorders of the human glandular and hormonal systems. Registration or licensing is required.
Alternative names: Internal Medical Specialist, Medical Practitioner, Physician, Specialist
Specialisations: Diabetologist, Paediatric endocrinologists
Job prospects: Average
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

An endocrinologists needs:

  • to interpret and understand laboratory tests, x-rays and other associated procedures
  • a sound knowledge of organ imaging investigations, hormone implants and fine needle aspiration and their application to endocrinology
  • knowledge in clinical endocrinology and metabolism, including diabetes
  • a detailed understanding of the principles of endocrine physiology, biochemistry and cellular and hormonal metabolism
  • to consult with other medical practitioners to evaluate a patient's endocrine system
  • to be conversant with research activities in the endocrine field
  • to be able to communicate effectively
  • confidence
  • to be conscientious
  • to relate to people
  • compassion towards others
  • to enjoy working with people
  • a high degree of motivation and self-discipline
Back to top

Working conditions

In a typical day, most endocrinologists see a number of patients (in hospital or privately) and generally work regular office hours, Monday to Friday. An endocrinologist's work is highly demanding but equally rewarding.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, endocrinologists can expect to earn between $3,574 and $3,941 per week ($185,895 and $204,950 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience.​

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Endocrinologists need to use tools and technologies associated with diagnostic laboratory techniques. They also need to remain current in both basic and applied endocrinology practises.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become an endocrinologist, you must first become a qualified medical practitioner and then specialise in endocrinology.

To become a medical practitioner, you need to study a degree in medicine. Alternatively, you can study a degree in any discipline followed by a postgraduate degree in medicine.

Some universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information. Learn more about your study options.

To then specialise in endocrinology, doctors can apply to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) to undertake further training and ultimately receive fellowship.

To be eligible for this specialist training, on completion of your medical degree, you must work in the public hospital system for a minimum of two years (internship and residency).

To work as an endocrinologist in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Medical Board of Australia.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options