Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Radiation oncologist

Back to top

Summary of occupation

​Radiation oncologists are medical specialists who use radiation therapy (also known as radiotherapy) to treat and manage cancer in patients.

Radiation oncologists work with and assess patients with cancer and plan the course of best treatment for them. Radiation oncologists may remove the cancer, or where that is not possible, alleviate pain to improve the quality of life of a patient. They determine and prescribe the most suitable dose of radiation using high energy X-rays, electron beams or gamma rays to treat their patient.

ANZSCO description: Provides medical care and management of patients with cancer and other medical conditions through the conduct and supervision of radiation treatment; and advice on the provision of palliative and other supportive care of patients with cancer. Registration or licensing is required.
Alternative names:
Job prospects: Limited
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A radiation oncologist needs:

  • the ability to cope with the physical and psychological demands of the job
  • to be accurate and have an eye for detail
  • problem solving skills
  • understanding, patience and empathy
  • excellent communication skills to liaise with other physicians and provide clear information to patients
  • to be able to work well within a team.
Back to top

Working conditions

Radiation oncologists work for public and private hospitals. They may supervise and teach medical students and trainees. Radiation oncologists may also perform research and conduct clinical trials. They may be required to be on-call in case of an emergency.

Most radiation oncologists in Western Australia work in the Perth metropolitan area. They must wear personal protective equipment and adhere to strict safety requirements when performing procedures with radiation.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, radiation oncologists, classified under other medical practitioners, can expect to earn between $3,065 and $7,285 per week ($159,376 and $378,832 per year) depending on the organisation that they work for and their level of experience. 

Back to top

Tools and technologies

​Radiation oncologists work with radiation therapists and medical physicists to deliver radiation treatment with a radiation machine called a linear accelerator (linac). Radiation oncologists usually use external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) techniques, but may also use intraoperative radiotherapy, total body irradiation, or brachytherapy, where radiation is delivered inside the patient. They may be required to wear lead aprons or thyroid shields if they are performing a procedure near radiation.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To work as a radiation oncologist in Western Australia, you will need to obtain registration from the Medical Radiation Practice Board.

You may also need to obtain a Radiation Use Licence from the Radiological Council of Western Australia.

To become a radiation oncologist, you must first become a qualified medical doctor and then specialise in radiation oncology.

To become a medical practitioner, you need to study a degree in medicine. Alternatively, you can study a degree in any discipline followed by a postgraduate degree in medicine.

Some universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.

To specialise in radiation oncology, doctors must apply to the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR) to complete the Radiation Oncology Training Program.

To be eligible for this specialist training, on completion of your medical degree, you must work in the public hospital system for two years (internship and residency).

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options