Contact us

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08)9224 6500
Site search



Occupation search

Occupation Search

Real estate representative

Back to top

Summary of occupation

Real estate sales representatives arrange the sale and leasing of different properties, under the supervision of a licensed real estate agent. They provide property owners with an estimated market value of their property. Once a price has been agreed upon, a real estate agency salesperson takes responsibility for marketing the property, conducting home opens and viewings with potential buyers. During these viewings a real estate sales representative will answer questions from potential buyers about the property and the surrounding neighbourhood, highlighting key features.

ANZSCO description: Arranges the conduct of real estate  transactions such as sales and leasing, and assists buyers to find  suitable properties, on behalf of an agency. Registration or  licensing is required.
Alternative names: Real Estate Salesperson, Real Estate Subagent
Specialisations: Property Portfolio Officer, Real Estate Agent, Real Estate Valuer
Job prospects: Good
Back to top

Knowledge, skills and attributes

A real estate sales representative needs:

  • excellent communication skills
  • a personable demeanour
  • high ethical standards
  • excellent organisational and time management skills
  • good working knowledge of the local area
  • to enjoy working with people
Back to top

Working conditions

Real estate sales representatives work largely in offices, though they also regularly visit properties to provide owners with valuations or conduct viewings with potential buyers. They work long hours, which may include evenings and weekends. However, there is a great deal of flexibility in the hours worked.

Back to top

Salary details

On average, real estate representatives, classified under real estate sales agents, can expect to earn between $1 250 and $1 499 per week ($65 000 and $77 999 per year), depending on the organisation they work for, and their level of experience. As a real estate representative develops their skills, their earning potential will generally increase. Many real estate sales representatives in WA are paid on a commission basis, meaning they receive a set percentage of the value of each property they sell.

Back to top

Tools and technologies

Because real estate sales people spend a lot of time visiting clients it is essential that they have a drivers licence and access to a car. With many properties for sale or rent now listed online there is an increasing need for real estate salespeople to use laptop computers, mobile phones and digital cameras while visiting properties.

Some real estate salespeople may be required to wear uniforms, but all will be expected to maintain a high standard of personal presentation.

Back to top

Education and training/entrance requirements

To become a real estate representative you usually need to complete an accredited short course in sales representative registration.

Short courses in Real Estate Sales Representative Registration and Sales Representative Registration are offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

To work as a real estate representative in Western Australia, you must register with the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety as a Real Estate and Business Sales Representative. To register, you must be over 18 years of age and provide proof of completion of a recognised sales representative registration course. You will also need to obtain a National Police Clearance. Contact the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety for more information.

Related courses

Back to top

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer. You spend most of your time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider of your choice. They will assess your skills and when you are competent in all areas, you will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. You generally start your school based apprenticeship by attending school three days a week, spending one day at a registered training organisation and one day at work. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you get a full-time apprenticeship you can apply to leave school before reaching the school leaving age.

If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Related apprenticeships

Back to top

Recognition of prior learning

If you think you already have some of the skills or competencies, obtained either through non-formal or informal learning, you may be able to gain credit through recognition of prior learning.

Back to top


Related links

Related occupations

Need advice?

Profile and social options